Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A Lab Rat Goes To Cleveland...


Yes! This lab rat (me) is taking the show on the road. I’m headed the Cleveland, Ohio on Sunday.  If someone were to ask me, where would you like to take a week’s vacation, most folks would have replied, somewhere in the Caribbean, New York City in the spring, or the beach somewhere. But NOOOO, I am going to Cleveland, Ohio. Cleveland.  Cleveland is the county seat of Cuyahoga County that sits on the southern shore of Lake Erie and is only about 60 miles from Pennsylvania. Cleveland is home to culturally diverse groups such as Indians (baseball), Browns (football), Cavaliers (basketball) and the lesser known Monsters (hockey), Gladiators (arena football) and the wildly popular, Crush (lingerie football).  Cleveland is a frequent stop on the food network!  An Iron Chef hails from Cleveland and the area touts its own Little Italy. It could be love for me!  Cleveland is home to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Drew Carey, television show, Hot in Cleveland and upcoming superhero movie The Avengers.  Who knew Cleveland would be so diverse and colorful??


Cleveland is also known for the world renowned Cleveland Clinic. Cleveland Clinic is in the top 4 hospitals in the country (so says the US News & World Report) and is ranked #1 for cardiac care 16 years in a row.  They are well known for their complex and difficult case management and resolution…. And they haven’t even met me yet.

The doctors in my local hospitals and clinics are very good. However, my illness seems to have advanced beyond the available technology and experience that is available nearby.  It’s NEVER good when a medical doctor shrugs their shoulders and says, “I don’t know how I can help you.”  We count on the doctors to “fix” things. They went to school. They studied. They studied for years. They have degrees. They have certifications. They have taken and hopefully passed exams.  Yet still, not every patient fits inside the “box”. That dreaded little “box” that I have battle with every time I visit a medical professional. It’s the “T & D Box”… treatment and diagnosis.  I don’t fit.  I have been called “contrary,” “difficult,” “challenging,” “resistant,” “puzzling,” “perplexing”.   Like putting a cat in a bath tub – resistant?? I've always thought I was rather amenable.  Apparently not! 


After much investigation, review and discussion with my fellow “complicated” patients – we decided that Cleveland Clinic is my next step.

Oh well.  The flight leaves on Sunday for my next adventure.  I’m heading up… Up? Up and over? to Cleveland – alone. (Insert music from Three Dog Night “One is the Loneliest Number”).  The kids have too much going on for us to expect a “fill in” to manage on their own.  So, the hubby will attempt to jockey my care from 700 miles away.  Not an easy feat for a guy that truly relishes ‘fixing things’ and taking care of me. 

I am excited…. Cautiously optimistic. Apprehensive. Nervous. Juiced Up about the trip. 

I’ll keep you posted. Stay tuned. Same Bat time. Same Bat channel. Peace! Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment