Monday, April 23, 2012

The Sum of All Fears... Part 2

As you may remember, where we left off was … WAITING! Waiting for the blood work and EKG results from last week.  We were told that we should hear something from ‘someone’ by Thursday or Friday.  Often, when we press for more information about the ‘someone’ who will be calling, I am met with silence and or a long “uhhhhhhh.”  I can only assume that most patients accept the fact the unidentified ‘someone’ will be calling them.  Maybe most folks are happy that they will be receiving a phone call… from ‘anyone’.  Even this guy??


I’m dating myself now… I digress. 
Thursday came and went without a peep from ‘someone’.  Friday arrived.  Of course the call to my husband’s cell phone occurred when he was on the riding lawn mower at the athletic park where the kids play sports…. He didn’t hear the phone ring when that ‘someone’ was trying to call him THREE times.

He finally connected with the ‘someone’ who was trying to reach him. In fact, this time, that ‘someone’ was the boy’s pediatrician.  Of course the blood work and EKG for Hunter was COMPLETELY NORMAL! PTL! However, since there is a ‘dramatic’ family history of cardiac issues, the DOCTOR is recommending that BOTH boys see a pediatric cardiologist for full cardiac workup.  I’m SOOOOO glad she thought of it! Geeesh!  The pediatrician also recommends that we consult a genetic counselor. Ohhh goodie!  That’s  Lovely!  Ok – genetic counseling can sometimes help predict whether they will develop that heart condition in the future. Maybe.  But basically we will be attempting to determine if I inherited the same mutant gene and passed it to my beautiful boys.

There is so much that is unknown about cardiac stuff (yes, I said “stuff”… I use it as a technical term), it’s scary.  Protocols and procedures that used to be prescribed to treat certain heart diseases are now known as being detrimental to the patient and their prognosis.  Currently, I have not been diagnosed with ANY genetic heart diseases and I have NO structural defect that I am aware of that would cause concern either.  

My point to all the blathering???  Why is it so difficult to have my boys evaluated? Especially, in light of the fact, I am willing to pay for it, out of pocket!! Why do I have to suggest such an evaluation to a pediatrician my youngest has had since birth and my oldest since he was 3? 

And furthermore…. Why are kids not required to have a physical and full cardiac workup every year?? Why do we not require it as discerning parents? Why do we allow a physician that may see your kid once or twice a year make potentially life-altering decisions about your child’s care? I mean, let’s face it folks, some of us struggled to have babies. Some of us struggle to keep our kids healthy. Some of us struggle not to pop the little ankle-biters in the back of the head on a regular basis.  I say again…. WHY??  

This coming Friday, we are taking BOTH boys to the pediatric cardiologist.  I’m so glad they thought of it!! 

More to come! 

p.s. – Don’t miss anything! Subscribe to the blog! Today! Now! Yep… right now! Go on!

No comments:

Post a Comment