Monday, April 16, 2012

This Sums It Up...


I’ve experienced several defining moments over the course of the last 8 years.  Most women are released from the hospital soon after the birth of a child. Unfortunately, for me, this was not the case. I spent ten days in the hospital fighting for my life. After delivery of my first child, I suffered dangerously fluctuating heart rates between 300 – 400 beats per minute. The doctors told my husband that there was nothing they could do for me. Amazingly, after four days in the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit, my heart reverted to somewhat of a normal heart rate on its own. At 35 years old I was diagnosed with Atrial Flutter and Atrial Fibrillation. After numerous attempts to correct the arrhythmias surgically, I opted to have my first pacemaker implanted.

After the birth of my second child four years later, I was misdiagnosed pregnancy induced asthma, bronchitis and pneumonia. In the meantime, my mother passed away only 4 weeks after the baby was born. Two and a half years pass (December 2009) and I find myself driving to the emergency room at 4 a.m.  I was diagnosed with postpartum cardiomyopathy and congestive heart failure.  For the second time in my life I was told that there wasn’t much more they could do for me.  These additional diagnoses led to numerous cardiac and diuretic medications and the implantation of a second device, a biventricular pacemaker with an internal cardioverter defibrillator.  So basically, I have had 8 cardiac procedures in 7 years…. With two small children and a professional career I was attempting to maintain.

Despite all the challenges, I am grateful and obstinate! I refuse to allow my broken heart to defeat me. The love of my family and the support from my friends reinforces my passion for living life and promoting heart awareness.  You need to know that “heart disease has no regard for age, gender or ethnicity – but no matter what – keep fighting!” I’ve become an American Heart Association volunteer and Advocacy Leader. I’ve spoken at several AHA events over the last years.

In my spare time… I am married and have a two energetic and talkative boys; Hunter, 8 and Tanner (a.k.a T.J.) 4.  We are VERY involved in their sports and church. Other than that - well – I have no spare time so nevermind. I strive for balance, harmony, health and internal peace.  A tall order is an understatement.  But I am hopeful! Be blessed! Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment